Robinson Township Smiles

What To Do If Your Crown Or Filling Falls Out – 5 Steps To Take

December 3, 2020
Posted By: Ryan Rupert

If your crown or filling falls out in Robinson Township, you may not know what to do. Do you need to see Dr. Ryan Rupert right away to get help? Don’t worry. In this guide, we’ll discuss 5 simple steps you should take after your crown or filling falls out. Read on, and make sure you’re prepared.


1. Recover The Filling Or Crown


It’s a good idea to recover your filling or crown, if possible. Crowns can sometimes be reused, and while this can’t be done with fillings, it can be useful to bring the filling into our office so that Dr. Ryan Rupert can examine it, and understand how and why it failed.


So grab your crown or filling and put it into a plastic baggie so that you can bring it into Robinson Township Smiles with you. 


2. Call Robinson Township Smiles To Schedule An Appointment


Pulling out a dental crown or filling is a dental emergency, but it’s not as time-sensitive as an oral injury like a knocked-out tooth or a broken tooth. It’s best to get same-day care, if possible, but usually, waiting for a day or two won’t be a big deal.


Still, you should contact Robinson Township Smiles right away for an appointment with Dr. Ryan Rupert. We can typically see you on the same day to replace your dental work and restore your smile. Give us a call at (412) 859-3833 to speak to one of our team members and schedule your appointment now.


3. Cover Your Tooth Or Repair The Crown With Over-The-Counter Dental Cement


You can find tooth repair kits at any drugstore, and it’s a good idea to keep one of these on-hand in case you ever lose a filling or a crown. 


These kits include temporary dental cement, which you can use to temporarily reattach your crown. You can also apply this cement directly to your tooth if you’ve lost a filling, and this will help coat and seal the tooth to reduce sensitivity and discomfort. 


4. Treat Sensitivity & Pain Until Your Appointment


If your tooth hurts, you can use topical treatments like Orajel or other tooth pain treatments to dull the pain by numbing the nearby nerves, or you can take over-the-counter medication like aspirin, naproxen, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen to help with your discomfort.


Usually, losing a crown or filling won’t hurt very much. But if your tooth is seriously tender, sore, and painful, make sure to get emergency dental care right away to eliminate your pain and discomfort.


5. See Dr. Rupert To Repair Or Replace Your Dental Work 


In some cases, Dr. Rupert may be able to re-attach your existing crown, but usually you’ll need a new crown or filling to be placed on your tooth. Dr. Rupert will examine your mouth during your appointment, and help you decide on the best option for your particular case.


Get Emergency Dental Care ASAP And Keep Your Mouth Healthy 


Losing a crown or filling can be painful and cause tenderness and sensitivity in the affected tooth, and you need to get emergency care quickly to ensure you avoid further complications, like tooth decay or a tooth infection. So call Robinson Township Smiles now at (412) 859-3833, and schedule a consultation with Dr. Ryan Rupert today.

If you have difficulty using our website, please email us or call us at (412) 859-3833
View the ADA Accessibility Statement